excessive gingival display ‘gummy smile’
An Excessive gingival display is often esthetically displeasing and considered unfavorable to those with a gummy smile, what raised interest of many dental practitioners and plastic surgeons to achieve the best solution for those patients.
Management of EGD varies according to its etiology, starting from simple hard and soft tissue resection (crown lengthening, the injection of botulinum toxin, lip repositioning surgery) and ending by more advanced orthognathic surgeries.
Multidisciplinary approach in such cases is needed to achieve the best management will be discussed in our presentation, showing results of our last studies to answer a lot of frequently asked questions:
- What are the etiological factors causing EGD?
- How to choose the appropriate treatment?
- What did the recent studies show in the last few years?
- Are there any cases of relapse in the management?
- Do we need more studies in this scope?